Lead Software Engineer - Risk
Our client is a major player in the Physical and Financial Global Commodity markets, with major trading centres in London, Geneva, Houston, Singapore, Shanghai and Beijing. They actively trade in all the major commodity asset classes, from Crude and Refined oil products, to power & gas, LNG, coal and emissions, through to freight, metals, and agricultural products.
They operate a global diversified technology team across key hubs such as Geneva, London, Houston and Singapore, while operating in close partnership with some strategic co-development centres in Bucharest, Bangalore and Hyderabad. All running an Agile delivery model in unison with their business partners to deliver multi-asset-class commodity systems, with a focus on automation, user experience, optimization, innovation and control.
This is a great opportunity to join one of the largest integrated energy and commodity trading companies in the world.
We are looking for a hands-on lead technologist with experience in Risk development projects and exposure to the Commodities industry. Working on solutions for trading and risk users, you should have knowledge of market data and an understanding of its use in modelling and pricing for risk metrics and reporting. You must be passionate about technology and have experience developing Java-based, enterprise-wide solutions.
The successful candidate will be adept at partnering with end-users to elicit requirements, analyse problems, design solutions and lead teams to deliver tangible business value & benefit.
This role will report into the Head of Risk Technology working on a multi-year program of work developing a brand new greenfield risk platform, ensuring they meet architectural and engineering best practices and guidelines.
Collaborating with your peers, you will liaise closely with technologists across the global teams as well as our key business stakeholders, which includes the Global Head of Strategies and the Chief Risk Officer, to ensure solutions integrate into our landscape seamlessly.
You should have a delivery focused background in Agile environment, and a desire to identify and develop strategic solutions, whilst also constantly looking to challenge status-quo to bring your own ideas and strive for improvement.
- Hands on development role
- Work closely with business users to understand processes and capture requirements
- Actively seek to identify and drive improvements and innovation
- Acquiring business knowledge and system knowledge to further individual development
- Represent and promote Mercuria IT, both internally and externally
- Experience developing enterprise applications
- Strong core Java knowledge and development expertise
- Commodities or Financial Services background
- Risk knowledge including understanding of forward curves, volatility surfaces, pricing and risk metrics
- Service oriented technologies like REST, JSON, Protobuf, Spring Boot, Drop Wizard
- DevOps best practices using tools like JIRA, JUnit, GitLab, Artifactory, Docker, Kubernetes, Kibana, Prometheus
- Cloud – either AWS or Azure exposure and understanding of how it can be utilised in a hybrid environment
- SQL and relational database experience
- Web development using modern frameworks like ReactJS desirable
- Agile methodology for delivering projects
- Fluent English
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Analytical and critical thinking with ability to problem solve complex issues
- Passion for technology and innovation
- Self-motivated and ability to work under pressure