Lead Engineer - Python
Our client is a major player in the Physical and Financial Global Commodity markets, with major trading centers in London, Geneva, Houston, Singapore, Shanghai and Beijing. They actively trade in all the major commodity asset classes, from Crude and Refined oil products, to power & gas, coal and emissions, through to freight, metals, and agricultural products.
They operate a global technology team, running an Agile delivery model in unison with their business partners to deliver multi-asset-class commodity systems, with a focus on automation, optimization, innovation and control.
This is a great opportunity to join one of the largest integrated energy and commodity trading companies in the world.
They are looking for a senior hands-on technologist with exposure to the Commodities or Financial Services industry who is passionate about technology and has experience developing Python based, enterprise-wide solutions.
The successful candidate is adept at partnering with end-users to elicit requirements, analyse problems, design solutions and ultimately deliver tangible business value & benefit.
This role will be influencing and delivering on a multi-year program of work developing best-of-breed propriety solutions, taking the lead for all Python based services to ensure they meet architectural and engineering best practices and guidelines.
Collaborating with your peers, you will liaise closely with technologists across the global teams as well as our key business stakeholders and team members which include heads of trading, senior analysts and data science engineers.
You should have a delivery focused background, and a desire to identify and develop strategic solutions, whilst also constantly looking to challenge status-quo to bring your own ideas and strive for improvement.
- Hands on development role with significant technical & ownership responsibilities
- Work closely with business users including traders & quantitative analysts to understand processes and capture requirements
- Actively seek to identify and drive improvements and innovation
- Line management of Python Engineers
- Acquiring business knowledge and system knowledge to further individual development
- Represent and promote Mercuria IT, both internally and externally
- 8+ years’ experience developing enterprise applications
- Strong core Python knowledge and development expertise
- Commodities or Financial Services background
- Service oriented technologies like REST, JSON, Protobuf, Spring Boot
- DevOps best practices using tools like JIRA, JUnit, Git, Artifactory, Docker, Kubernetes, Kibana, Prometheus
- Cloud – either AWS or Azure exposure and understanding of how it can be utilised in a hybrid environment
- SQL and relational database experience
- Experience of BI Reporting tools such as Tableau, QLIK or Dash advantageous
- Web development using modern frameworks like ReactJS advantageous